Young people believe wrongly that happiness declines with age and thus justify taking extra risks to party and binge with abandon.
Here’s more on what we know about happiness, so far:
10. Happiness increases with income; decreases by how much you want.
9. Happiness is a feedback loop.
8. Be careful who you choose as spouse, friends, and neighbors.
7. Relative wealth is more important than actual wealth.
6. Giving makes us happier than receiving.
5. Happy people love their jobs; jobs alone do not make people happy.
4. We’re bad at realizing how good we are at adapting.
3. Happiness is simple.
2. Focus on what you have, not on what you don’t.
1. There are many unanswered questions about happiness.