Fact sheet on U.S-China clean energy announcements.
Meeting in Beijing, the two presidents agreed to a seven-point plan designed to speed the development of renewable energy and improve energy efficiency.
- Establish a U.S.-China Clean Energy Research Center;
- U.S.-China Electric Vehicles Initiative – a joint program to develop electric vehicles that will include pilot projects in more than a dozen cities;
- U.S.-China Energy Efficiency Action Plan – to collaborate on improving the energy efficiency of buildings, factories, and consumer appliances;
- U.S.-China Renewable Energy Partnership – establish a renewable energy partnership to promote alternative energy technologies, including ‘advanced grid’ and programs to promote cooperation between states and regions in the two countries;
- 21st Century Coal – joint research into developing methods of capturing CO2 emissions from coal-fired power plants as well as storing carbon dioxide underground;
- Shale Gas Initiative – share U.S. expertise in extracting natural gas from underground shale deposits.
- U.S.-China Energy Cooperation Program – a private sector project initiative to include collaborative projects on renewable energy, smart grid, clean transportation, green building, clean coal, combined heat and power, and energy efficiency.