Tyler Cowen, What is a Conservative’s beliefs?
- Evil is real and there exist evil nations in the world.
- The United States in particular has been unselfish to a remarkable degree.
- The spread of nuclear weapons to irrational, evil and undeterrable powers is the number one foreign policy issue.
- Societies succeed if strong family structures support an emphasis on learning and acculturation.
- Side with the laws and customs associated with the Western powers and their growth into powerful and durable societies.
- We do not have either the resources or the norms to remake society in the direction of a fully-comfortable-for-everyone social democracy.
- Fiscal conservatism is part and parcel of conservatism.
- Small government is a means to the values which lie behind Western civilization and it is a means toward the prosperity we need to live well and defend ourselves.
- Responsibility is a more important value than either liberty or equality.